18.4.14

i don't want my wheaties, give 'em to the needy

a childhood memory is that nostalgic feeling you get when you eat / drink / do because you used to do it often as a child. for me it's definitely australian dairy company. to be honest with you, it hasn't changed a single bit since i was a child. the same menu. the same waiters. the same attitude. the only thing that has changed is the price, but i guess most people can put up with that. we go so often that the waiters there recognise us and would give us a table at any time of the day. talking about vips and special treatment.

my mom and i used to come when i got ill. our doctor was two streets away, so me and my mom would always come after having been force-fed pills and medicine down my throat. then it became our sunday rituals. we went every single sunday for breakfast before church, and we loved it. alas, nothing good lasts forever. i went to the uk for high school and i could only enjoy breakfast time with my mom in the holidays. waking up in the mornings is one of the hardest tasks i have yet to master, but i don't mind sacrificing my sleeping time for mom. 

though it isn't a sunday today, mom decided it would be a good idea to go just before i depart once again. my favourite dish on the menu is the macaroni. it is the creme de la creme of macaronis and i don't think i'll ever be able to find anything as good as this. as a small eater, i usually only have this and i'm done for the rest of the morning. the good thing about this macaroni is that it isn't too tasteful, nor is it too oily. it's just right for me. if you're a person who likes very strong flavours or super oily and greasy food, i would not recommend this to you. i do understand why my mom took us here when me and my siblings got ill. if you're going to eat saltless, oilless, and seasoning-less food, why not eat something that tastes amazing on its own? just because you're ill, it doesn't mean that you have to suffer.
 the second half of the breakfast set comes with toast and the egg of your choice. you can choose scrambled or a sunny-side up. mommy usually chooses scrambled and i believe this is the british way of making scrambled eggs. just like the macaroni, there isn't too much seasonings added to the egg, but it is extremely delicious. it's creamy, without tasting too milky. the egg and the toast make a perfect combo, as they complement each other. the butter on the toast brings out the egg's flavour, whilst adding more texture to it.
i don't know if it's the breakfast that is great, or if it's how much i like going to breakfast with my mom. maybe it's both, but it would never taste the same if i haven't started going as a child, whilst holding my mom's hand, queuing for a space in the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment